Thursday, August 30, 2012

What Is It We Do When We Write Articles Like This


     There are two courses that ask for me to do research which are English and Political Science. I imagine myself going online and gathering information from articles written by professionals.
     In Michael Kleine's article 'What Is It We Do When We Write Articles Like This-- and How Can We Get Students To Join Us?", he attempts to explain if researchers such as professors or teachers are actually discovering new evidence in the research or if they are copying or para-phrasing like the rest of high school students and college students seem to be doing.  He does so by interviewing his colleagues because as they themselves are scholars, it helps him gain more information about the experiement him and Steven Anderson and Barry Maid are doing. The project goes into how each person does the research and what ways are the proceeding to do so.
     I would say that I am the typical high school/college student when it comes to the writing. I see myself as going over what has been written and putting it into my own words with other comments that I may  have being included into this.
     The professionals sources play a significant role in the research. What they are researching grasps their personal interests so by looking more in depth to others work and findings, it helps them gain a better understand of what it is they are hoping to discover for themselves. Research has been helpful for me because I would need to have a lot of information to base my writing off of. The main difference between the research the scholars do compared to my work is that it is out of enjoyment for them where I am forced to do it.
     If I were to change my way of doing research as Kleine talks about, it would fall along the lines of actually taking into deep thought of how my research was going. I usually see what seems to fit within my writings, but I never make a discovery for myself or something that I found interesting enough to put into it. Research is not my strong point, so actually diving into the work would be a challenge in itself.
     I didn't particularly like this article. I understand that changing my research habits will result in better writing. It was just repetitive while reading it. Reading articles about things we do in our daily lives are more interesting and this didn't follow underneath my category.

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Rae'ven, I'm glad you were able to get your hands on the text. I agree that Kleine repeats himself a bit too much in this article. I hope we'll be able to extract just the really good parts in our class discussion, without all the repetition.

    ReplyDelete