Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Helping Students Use Textual Sources Persuasively


Before Reading: One of the recent arguments I've been in where it was resolved happened only because we had looked up the research from the internet using multiple sources. They never really had a comeback with the argument so that was how they knew the battle was lost. Due to the lack of knowledge for a returning argument, it was merely left alone, but not really solved.

Summary: In her article ,"Helping Students Use Textual Sources Persuasively", Margret Kantz attempts to explain to the audience that they shouldn't read textbooks as mere stories and also how they need to find a strong way of writing an original argument. She argues that by assuming of

Q&D: Kantz says that facts are what they are read out to be. Just truth in statements with no swaying opinions. Opinions, on the other hand, are what you as an individual develop by observing and seeing what the facts have been given to and you make it out to be whatever it is you see it as. Arguments is the clashing of the opinions, but lack value when neither party has a way of supporting their views.

Kantz says that students don't know how to read articles which can play an important role when writing a paper. It can also be a problem for students when they are trying to write a paper in an organized fashion. From my own personal experience, I see where she is coming from because I would read the text and not really comprehend what it was over and then when I would write the paper, it would be difficult and would fold creating an invalid paper. I am able to connect with her writing because she is very thorough with the ways how students see and overview their papers. With my friends, we would look at each other's work to see if it made sense and we would get different responses over the same general topic.

A&E: The relationship between creativity and research weren't really close in writing as I've grown to learn in high school. With research papers, we don't really have a creative way to write when it has to be over facts and facts alone. The only real creative thought would be what we would have to write over, if we were able to chose what it was over. The ways how we overlap in our ideas would be how we both believe that creative thinking is an essential part to writing. Without any creative aspects to your writing, it creates a boring paper and ceases to catch anyone's interest. Also, you can't have an original argument if you lack a creative mind. Kantz doesn't really influence my writing because I already knew that creativity and interest catches attention or at least a second glance when it comes to a good read.

Margret Kantz has given me a better outlook on research papers. She explains in detail how other students usually write, but she also tells us that that's okay. Since I started writing research papers, it's typically the same thing over and over again with no real feeling in my writing. She's basically saying that I need to put my mind to work to create a more interesting paper. After reading this, I'll be able to take more papers into consideration and figure out how I will be able to write a well written and original research paper.

I will be doing my first project over the 5 paragraph essay. I've always used it to write my work so I figured why not go more in depth as to why I've always used it.

1 comment:

  1. Good work, Rae'ven, it sounds like you read the article carefully. Also it looks like your summary got cut off, and I don't see a response to the Meta Moment on page 85.

    ReplyDelete