Thursday, September 13, 2012

Elbow and Friends


Summary: In his article "Voicing in Writing Again: Embracing Contraries", Peter Elbow attempts to explain that using your in-thought voice is very important because it helps you comprehend what you're reading in a better way. He argues that by hearing what you are reading, are able to understand what you're saying more effectively and can help improve the students article.

Connections: Elbow's article is the same as Greene's Argument as Conversation. When he was talking about how conversations are between two or more people and having the knowledge over something and knowing when to chime. With the inside voice, you are taking time to yourself to think of you information and go over it before you respond to something someone else says. With the using voice, you go over what you're saying as if you are reading the information from your head.

1) By reading aloud what I'm saying, I get a better and stronger understanding because I'm actually reading it and listening to what I am saying. I'm not just hearing it, but grasping the words on paper. Ear training has effected my hearing in a much better way. As a child learning to read, I heard what they were saying and it helped me pronounce words better. I was able to learn words and understand pronunciation in a stronger sense than others. Practicing reading out loud also helped me focus more on what I was reading. It should always be used so you can focus more on what you're saying. You should use it whenever you are trying to grasp something and you're having trouble understanding what exactly it is.

2) Yes, he is playing the "doubting and beliveing" game. If you neglect one side of an argument, you won't be able to counter argue whatever they say. So you should take in both sides so you can determine what side you are playing for then engage in the conversation like in anything else. It gives you a better understanding of what is going on. To stop the tension, you make one side feel like they've lost and the winner having the last laugh. Keeping the tension going will give them a better feel that they're still able to come back with more to say and that gives them a chance of creating a better argument or even possibly discovering something new.

Opinion: The read for me was interesting because I could relate to what he was saying and could agree to it. I have learned that from first hand experience and I've never doubted it. I would use it to read whenever I was in a very loud area and I couldn't concentrate. Out of the three readings, Stephen Kings was my favorite because I could relate to him. The fact a book or novel and take your mind and travel to different places, stir your emotions, and gets you to the point where nothing else matters and you're in your own world, that's absolutely the greatest feeling in the world. To step aside from your boring life and take an adventure somewhere that isn't home.

1 comment:

  1. Good response, Rae'ven. I'm interested in your analysis of Elbow's "doubting and believing game," especially when you say, "you can determine what side you are playing for." Notice that, in Elbow's terms, this is a rather "either/or" approach to argument, and he presents both sides of a debate about voices, taking up both of them, not just one. I also liked the enthusiasm with which you talked about the King reading.

    ReplyDelete