Thursday, October 25, 2012

Identity, Authority, and Learning to Write in New Worplaces

Before You Read: My identity has changed only very slightly. I'm more of a reserved individual now and I keep many things to myself. I observe more people than usual and see if how they are as a person is worthy enough to talk to or if they're not the same type of person I would like to associate myself with. I've been getting deeper into thoughts on some strong subjects like meanings behind dreams, the existence of humans and the fearful 'end' they come to, isolation and how sad it is to see how on your own you are as well as the beauties of science and what our world will come to . The spare time that I have gained here has given my tons of space to learn about myself and see how I am able to handle being on my own and seeing just how grown up I have become.
 
Summary: In her article "Identity, Authority, and Learning to Write in New Workplaces", Elizabeth Wardle discusses the progression the person go through as they move from multiple discourse communities. Wardle goes on to talk about a persons identity and their authority and how it affects their writing in their jobs. She researches a man named Alan and how he had to adapt to the new job. In the article, she explains three different modes of belonging which are engagement, the common ground workers share in their relationships, imagination, which can either be negative or positive in how one sees themselves in the social efficacy, and alignment, where an extreme depth of each engagement and imagination is involved, but with other communities as well.
 
Synthesis: Wardles article is like Gee and Swales' articles. All three of them contain discourse communities and the different qualities that make them up. Each go into deal about how they are created and what it is you should take value from to be apart of these discourse communities.
 
QD:
3. Alan didn't want to change who he was to get the desired results. The members of that already existing community also were stubborn and weren't willing to change as well. Because both parties weren't willing to change, neither of them were able to come to an agreement or a medium for them to deal with.
5. Gee's argument seems to be more understanding because Alan had already made up his mind as to how he wanted to be. Forcing himself in on that community wasn't going to help him and because he wasn't going to change, he couldn't really be an engaging member in that community.

MM: In anything you are apart of, there will always be someone who has authority over you unless you are the main boss of that organization or job. Having people who are above you school, jobs, or personal writing can help you because those are the people you are trying to please and by listening to them, you will be able to do just that. Going against something that they want will make your identity in that particular community unwelcome.

Opinion: Putting "Alan's" personal story in the article helped me get a better understanding of how workplaces deal with members and how they would associate themselves with others. I've known that by pleasing the authoritative figures in any area I'm in will help my reputation as an individual and as an employee because it seems that in life, it's all about who you are and how well you're liked by the people you will be surrounding yourself with in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Good response, Rae'ven. Your summary is quite thorough and captures many of the major points of this article. I also liked your answer to QD #5, as I think you make a compelling case for Gee's view of why Alan could not belong in the Discourse of the department he worked for.

    ReplyDelete