Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Literacy, Discourse, and Linguistics: Introduction

Before You Read: The definition that comes up for "mushfake" is  a prison slang for items owned by an inmate that may be legal to buy, but were constructed or obtained through illegal means, hence they are contraband.
Summary: In his article "Literacy, Discourse, and Linguistics: Introduction" by James Paul Gee, he talks about his view on Discourses. Gee describes Discourses by the term of "identity kits" and he goes on to explain that this is an instruction on how to act, talk, and write so that others may recognize what's going on.  He then goes on to explain that they have labels and that those Discourses go by the names of dominant, non-dominant, primary, and secondary Discourses. 
Synthesis: This article is like that of John Swales; "The Concept of Discourse Community" because both of them contain discussion over discourse communities. The only difference is that Swales breaks down the characteristics of a discourse community whereas Gee talks about the different names and titles he gives to the discourse communities.
QD:
3. Gee says that discourse with a lower case 'd' means connected stretches of language that make sense, so "discourse" is part of "Discourse". This somewhat makes sense to me because he goes to explain what discourses are and so he changes the lower case 'd' to a capital to show that they are one in the same.
13. A discourse I think I would like to belong with would be those who are into psychology. The hardest part about being in this discourse is to have the open mind like they do and how they are able to see things from an outside perspective.My yearning for understanding of everything and how things work is what really aids my coming to part of this community. I don't so much as see myself as a "pretender", but I do try and come off as someone who has a pretty decent view on the things that those people see.
Opinion: The more I start to read and analyze these articles, the more I notice how understanding what my discourse community is will help benefit me in the future. To comprehend the future is something that will help out with my job so I have a better understanding about how to connect with the other individuals that are in my group.

2 comments:

  1. Good response, Rae'ven. I especially like hearing what you have to say in your opinions section, and I'm glad you're seeing how these lessons about discourse communities can apply to life and the workplace. (This will become especially relevant as you read the Wardle article for our next class.) I also like your example of the Discourse that studies psychology, and I hope you'll find a way to use this interest to fuel Project #3, if that's what you'd like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Rae'ven. You don't know me, and never will, but you done did there good gal.

    ReplyDelete